I had a ton of trouble getting the pickups to work well! I really didn’t want to drill holes in the beautiful thuya burl pickup covers, but no matter what I tried I couldn’t get the pickups to sound good without getting the strings closer to the magnetic field. I finally ended up drilling holes for 12 alnico magnets in each pickup. I made bobbins from maple and used alnico 2 magnets in the bridge and alnico 5’s at the neck. The neck pickup has 2x 5000 windings and the bridge has 2x 5500.
Strangely, even though I have 10,000+ winds on each pickup, I’m getting a sound very much like a Strat from these pickups.
I tried many different styles of pickup- blades, stacked-
I also spent a lot of time making knobs for this guitar. I had a couple of ideas in mind, but once I tried them I was disappointed by the look: