Surprising that it has been just over a month since my last post! I ran into several problems applying the finish to the Koa guitar… I burned through the horn while buffing, and ended up refinishing the whole guitar. I finally completed that, had the guitar sitting on a sofa in the living room and somehow Petey, my six year old, put a gouge on top of the guitar. So I had to sand it out and refinish it once again. Each finish takes a couple of weeks before it can be buffed.
I made the pickups from the same wood as the fretboard- bocote wood. I then decided that I should make the knobs to match, so I turned them on a lathe and spent countless hours making them identical to each other (to within four thousands of an inch, anyway). I spent even more time putting the thick glossy coat on these knobs. I decided to apply Super Glue to them for durability and had real problems getting the finish to match exactly from knob to knob. I set metal sleeves inside the knobs, perfectly centered, so the knobs don’t rock on the potentiometer shafts as they turn.