I wanted to take advantage of the 1/2″ top (Driftwood 1 was only 1/4″), so I “carved” (or actually shaped with a sander) this top and I’m happy with the way it looks. I didn’t want to do the usual PRS or Gibson type of carve and instead opted for a “puffy” look. I’m going to explore this further in future guitar projects.
Unfortunately I lost about an 1/8″ of depth because I started cutting a control panel recess in the wrong place and had to hand plane the back until I erased the error. I had put it in a spot that interfered with the strings as they went through the body. I learned that one should always do the important stuff first, like drilling string-through holes, so you know exactly where you stand before you route anything else!
Since I took these photos I’ve cut a control panel cover out of aluminum. The last cover was from 1/8″ copper and really added to the weight of the guitar (Driftwood 1 is 9 pounds 2 ounces with 2 lbs of copper!). I don’t really like the way the aluminum looks but I’ll try to get used to it. I’ve also cut the holes for the switch and pots, and I’ve stained, sanded, and applied CA as a grain filler. I’ve given the guitar one sealer coat. I’m hoping to do a sunburst finish… We’ll see!